Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Intention is a Goal Your Heart Makes, When You're Fully Conscious


This past weekend was my 5th class at The Institute For Integrative Nutrition. I am officially half way through my program.

This is alarming on many accounts...mainly two:
1. Oh My Gosh! I'm half way through, that means there's so little time left and so much more to do!
2. Oh My Gosh! I'm half way through and let me just pause and take a look back at what intentions I made on my first class weekend. (Pause, Reflect) Wow. They have happened. Now what else do I want to happen?

Intentions are tricky little devils. When you make them, it's best to be as specific as possible but also to be realistic. Because, if you truly set an intention and start believing it will come true- you will make it so.

When writing this post, the song from Cinderella "a dream is a wish your heart makes" comes to mind. Remember that one?....I believe the last thing she says prior to singing to those cute little blue birds is "well perhaps, someday..." and then the first line of the song is "a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep."


This is the opposite of an intention. An intention is a set goal with realistic outcomes and even with a schedule. While it worked out lovely for Cinderella and she actually didn't have to wait all that long for what she wanted, this is not the same experience others have with dreaming verses setting intentions. Now please believe that I have nothing against this movie and actually enjoy it but it does paint a bit of an unreachable picture.

I have actually re-written the lyrics for defining an intention, "An intention is a goal your heart makes, when you're fully conscious." Ha, ha- not as romantic perhaps but the truth indeed.

How does one make an intention? Well, this is what I was talking about earlier when I said that they are tricky little devils. The key to intention setting is to really picture yourself behind the wheel so to speak of what you want. At class this weekend Annemarie Colbin founder of Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts told a great story about this guy who really wanted a silver mercedes. He put post its up all over his apartment and pictures of it everywhere, then one day he was driving in his chevy escalade and wouldn't you know a silver mercedes plowed right into him.

Lesson learned- you must set an intention and see yourself "behind the wheel"....sometimes literally.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Do I sense someone hosting a "How to Set Intentions" teleclass? Please do! I would attend!!