Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pesto Pizza- My, Oh, My!

On Sunday, Tim and I spent our day like this:


The good news is we both aced our tests and got a lot of work done however we were starving by the end so we decided to make a delicious pesto pizza with mushrooms and prosciutto (on his half) . We also had the Trader Joe's Power House Salad (a complete salad with spinach, walnuts, dried edamame, dried blueberries, dried cherries.)
I haven't really plugged any brands to much on this blog yet but I have to say that the Trader Joe's garlic pizza dough was fantastic!
We made our own pesto kind of on a whim but I looked up the ingredients after which are:

Pesto Sauce:

Originally made by Cara: Sunday, March 21, 2010
Recipe from: our heads! (the one below is from Simply Recipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (oh we used a lot more than that!)
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
  • 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced (Tim and I used 6!!!)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
  • Combine the basil in with the walnuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
  • Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
  • Makes 1 cup.
So first we had to roll out the dough- this is actually the hardest part of the whole thing!

(Left: Tim kneading the dough)
(Right: Me spreading/kneading the dough)








Then we spread out our freshly made Pesto:


It's so green!!

Then we plopped on our fixings and also put some delicious slices of Mozzarella cheese on it- Trader Joe's has these perfectly sliced mozzarella pieces pre-packaged:


After about 18-20 minutes at 425 degrees take it out and it will look like this:

This was delicious and very fun! It lasted a long time as well- I just had my last 2 pieces today for lunch. Delicious!

I have my 3rd class this weekend and am very excited. I've been asked by IIN to be interviewed as a testimonial! I found out that my health counselor recommended me and I'm just so honored to do so, I was told to dress to impress. I will and I will speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

Be well | Cook often | Sleep A Lot | Breath Deep





1 comment:

Lisa said...

Looks delish! Isn't Michele the best?! I think she may have recommended me too. I'll have to find out. Can't wait for class this weekend. We should try for lunch again one day!